An American tourist died this week at a Sandals resort in the Bahamas, police said Tuesday.
No foul play was suspected in the death of a man believed to be in his 70s who was staying at Sandals Emerald Bay Resort on Great Exuma Island, a island known as a luxury travel destination, the Royal Bahamas Police Force said in a statement to USA TODAY.
Police said the man’s body will be flown to New Providence for an autopsy. But initial reports indicate the man experienced shortness of breath and later tested positive for COVID-19, then self-quarantined before his death, police said.
The death comes after three Americans at the same resort died by asphyxiation from carbon monoxide poisoning. On May 6, resort staff found Vincent Chiarella, 64, and Michael and Robbie Phillips, 68 and 65, unresponsive in their villas the morning after the guests sought treatment after feeling ill. Chiarella’s wife was hospitalized in serious condition.
Stacy Royal, a spokesperson for Sandals, confirmed the man’s death at Sandals Emerald Bay Resort in a statement to USA TODAY.
“We wish to extend our deepest sympathies to the guest’s family and remain in close contact to provide support during this difficult time,” Royal said.
I GOT COVID WHILE TRAVELING:Here’s what I wish I knew (and what I needed) to go back home
Contributing: Christine Fernando, USA TODAY
Contact Breaking News Reporter N’dea Yancey-Bragg at email@example.com or follow her on Twitter @NdeaYanceyBragg