According to a Florida court filling on Monday the former US President is seeking punitive damages of $475 million (£428 million) from CNN. Speaking to Express.co.uk Mr Dolan said that he was surprised that it had taken Mr Trump so long to initiate legal action given that the New York born billionaire had made legal action a “staple” during his long period in the public eye.
He added that it was “without question” that the property tycoon had been “libelled and defamed”.
Mr Dolan added that the level of bias against Mr Trump by CNN and other parts of the mainstream media was “extraordinary”, possibly motivated by a fear that he might run for the White House again in 2024.
He said: “My only surprise is that it has taken him this long.
“Donald Trump has made litigation, and threat of, a staple of his career over the years.
“That he has been libelled and defamed is without question – the sheer anti Trump hysteria of CNN and the mainstream media as a whole over these last few years has been nothing short of extraordinary, going way beyond anything previously seen.
“It is interesting to note that it is again being ramped up, probably due to the fear of Donald Trump running again in 2024.
“This action will put CNN and indeed the rest of the media on notice that perhaps Trump is signalling that the gloves are off. No more Mr Nice Guy….”
Mr Trump’s lawyers claimed that CNN had attempted to smear the former Apprentice host “with a series of ever-more scandalous, false, and defamatory labels of ‘racist,’ ‘Russian lackey,’ ‘insurrectionist,’ and ultimately ‘Hitler’.”
READ MORE: Iran to see Islamic Republic regime collapse as protests surge