FIFA technology has reportedly confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo did not get a touch on Bruno Fernandes’ cross against Uruguay. The unattached forward wheeled away in celebration, with the Portuguese FA supposedly sending in evidence to support his goal claim in what is likely to be his final World Cup.
Ronaldo has points to prove in Qatar after being released from Manchester United. The Portuguese icon has butted heads with Erik ten Hag this season and he lashed out at the Dutchman in a fiery interview with Piers Morgan, which played a part in seeing his contract terminated by mutual agreement.
With European clubs watching on and Saudi sides supposedly preparing mega-money contract offers, Ronaldo got off the mark against Ghana last week by finishing from the penalty spot. He thought he had made it two from two against Uruguay on Monday when he leapt high in an attempt to meet Fernandes’ cross into the box.
While Ronaldo’s celebration certainly suggested that he had helped the ball into the net, the replays told a different story as Fernandes’ cross appeared to sail straight through and past Sergio Rochet.
JUST IN: World Cup LIVE: Gary Lineker’s £1.6m Qatar payout, Southgate told to unleash star vs Wales
Portugal came into the 2022 World Cup as one of the favourites with a healthy blend of experienced heads and youthful talent. Two wins from two stands them in good stead to top Group H and secure a favourable route into the latter stages.
Next up, they face South Korea on Friday with Ronaldo hoping to impress suitors and add to his goal tally, with the World Cup Golden Boot one of the few accolades to elude him since making his debut for Portugal in 2003.