A mother of four feared she would be crushed or burned alive after becoming trapped in a sunbed. Natalie Rene first suspected a problem when the lid slammed shut as she got on to the bed at a salon in Loughborough, Leicestershire.
When she realised she could not get it open again she began to panic.
The 33-year-old said: “I thought this was going to be my coffin. The lights were on and I thought, ‘I’m going to burn to death like in the movie Kick-Ass.”
While crying out for help she kept hitting at the button to turn off the UV lights and eventually it turned off but only “after what seemed like ages”, she said.
The law student added: “I’m really strong but I just couldn’t lift the lid off me. I had literally an inch or so and all I could do was shimmy a little side to side.
“I’m not good with small spaces and my anxiety went through the roof. I thought I’d get crushed – if not burned to death. Then they’d have to drag my naked body out.”
After about five minutes, two members of staff at Tanning House by Miami Sun came to the rescue.
They managed to open the shutter on the booth, but she says they could not get her out of the machine.
Two customers tried to help but they realised their efforts were in vain so called 999.
READ MORE: Taxpayers face 150 percent jump funding gold-plated pensions
The owner of the venue, Tanning House by Miami Sun, did not comment on the incident.
Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said: “We received a call at 2.42pm on 27 May 2022 to Miami Sun in Loughborough.
“Caller stated that the sunbed was stuck, the occupier was unharmed. We attended and by 3pm had released the individual who was stuck in the sunbed.”